Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Moving estimates
Sep 18, 00:36
Question by rictus8791 (Joe)

How much does it cost to move from Omaha, NE to Knoxville, TN?

Researching a move from Omaha, NE to Knoxville, TN with 2 bedrooms, living room and kitchen. How much should this cost?

Sep 21, 14:30
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

The best way to know for sure is to have at least 3 moving companies come to your home to see exactly what you need moved.

However, I can give you a rough estimate, and I'll be conservative – I’d rather be high and have the actual price be lower, than vice versa.

I’ll estimate the moving weight is 6,000 pounds, which is a little below the average size move for the U.S. as a whole, and a distance of about 900 miles. With packing, the move should cost $2,500 to $4,200. If you wanted to do packing yourself, you could save roughly 40% of your move costs, which would bring the move cost to about $1,800 to $2,700.

I give such a wide range because it’s impossible to know what the moving companies will charge. (However, one thing’s for sure, if someone is giving you moving quotes well below this, it’s best to steer clear, it’s often a sign of a moving scam.)

You could also do a ‘partial pack’ of your items, where you pack the non-breakables and the moving company handles the difficult and heavy items like dishware. This would cut your packing costs roughly in half.

Again, this is an estimate, and is only intended to give you a rough idea of the costs you might encounter.

Related Stories:

The Secret Behind Movers' 'Hidden Charges'

Does this long distance moving quote seem OK? Maine to Virginia move

How much does it cost to move 2,100 pounds cross country?

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)