FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
Price range for a 3 bedroom move from NY to NC
-> Moving estimatesFeb 05, 19:52
Question by metz1055 (Max)
What should be the price range for a 3 bedroom move with minimum furniture?
Moving from NY to North Carolina in February.
Feb 06, 01:17
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)
Small 3 bedroom apartment will probably yield around 8,000 lbs worth of household goods.
If you decide to leave or donate some of the heavier pieces of furniture and just buy new ones in North Carolina then you can take it down to 6,500-7,000 lbs.
Now to the prices. Your move in on the route to Florida, and the prices to move from NYC to North Carolina are usually not cheaper then NYC->Florida, and in February should be somewhere between $0.40 and $0.45 per lb.
You could find cheaper offers, but beware of companies willing to take the price below $0.40 and make sure you check well if they are reliable (although in February some movers will be so desperate for jobs they will be willing to work with negligible profit margins).
Assuming you have around 7,000 lbs your move should cost you somewhere between $2,800 and $3,200.
Besides the weight tariff you should be aware of some possible extra charges and expenses related directly to the move, such as:
In general I would recommend you to book your move only after you have a detailed binding estimate written and signed by a visual estimator after a survey of your apartment. All possible extra fees should be listed and calculated within the binding estimate, and a sentence added "No other additional charges should be added to the final price of the move under any conditions".Good luck with your move,
- Packing materials - if some of your items need to be boxed up or bubble-wrapped the movers will charge you for the materials and for the labor. That could be costly, so make sure you at least have all the needed packing materials (see How to buy affordable packing materials online).
- Stairs and long carry - movers might charge you extra for walking up and/or down the stairs, or to carry your items for a distance over 100 feet (make sure you verify those charges with mover's representative prior to booking and have it in writing).
- Shuttle charge - in case the interstate truck is unable to get close to your new home in NC your items will have to be shuttled with smaller truck(s). Shuttle charge is usually $250, but you need to confirm it with a mover prior to booking
- Gas surcharge - you might be charged gas surcharge, although it is usually included in the original fee per lb. Check with each mover if they charge you that fee or not.
- Tips - you should tip both the team that picks your shipment and the second team that delivers it to you (the second tip is usually smaller). Check here how much you should tip the movers.
Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!
Need a Mover?
Moving Quotes - START HERE:
Rate this Answer
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service