Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Company public records
Aug 20, 10:33
Question by ellen (Ellen)

How can I verify how many moves a moving company makes?

Where can I find the average number of moves per year that a moving company does? The information I have about complaints and accidents would make more sense if I had this information. Perhaps I can find number of moves per year on the BBB or FMCSA company info but I have missed it.

Aug 24, 12:20
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

In short, there’s no good way to do that. It’s not required information.

As you say, a company’s complaint record would make more sense if you had a good idea about the number of moves a year it makes. However, there are ways to get an idea of how many moves a moving company will make.

First, you can get an idea of the size of a moving company by going to ProtectYourMove.gov – this Website has information about licensing, insurance and accidents. Although it doesn’t list number of moves a year, it does give you the number of trucks that it operates. Generally speaking, if it only has 1 truck, it can’t make a lot of moves. And generally speaking, a mover that only has 1-2 trucks can be a red flag, particularly if you want to make a long distance move.

As far as the BBB, I’d say more than 2-3 complaints is too many. Frankly, not many dissatisfied consumers get this far in the process, so the ones that do are often a determined lot and a good indication of how negative an experience someone had with a moving company.

You can also ask the moving company how many moves they make a year, although there's no really good way to check it (although if you don't trust a moving company's answer about how many moves they do a year, you probably shouldn't hire that company).

Just as important as number of complaints, I’d find out how long the moving company has been in business. The longer a mover’s been around, the more assurance you can have that it’s a solid company – the moving industry is so competitive that poor performers generally don’t last. It’s a good sign if a moving company has been in business for over a decade.

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

Aug 26, 17:24
Comment by mvpsoft (Martin V)

Try to search the moving company in moving review websites. When I choose my last moving company I went online, searched for sites with reviews on movers one of which was http://www.mymovingreviews.com but there are 3 or 4 others. You can see the number of reviews and what have customers said on the particular moving company.

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)