Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Licensing questions
Aug 19, 20:10
Question by ellen (Ellen)

Which US DOT numbers to check for moving company agents?

I am using the FMCSA website to check out moving companies by their US DOT numbers. When I am looking at a large national moving company that uses a local company as an agent to do the work, do I need to look at a US DOT number for both the national company and the local company? I was only given US DOT numbers for the national moving company. Thank you.

Aug 26, 13:07
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

Check the DOT number for both the van line and the local mover. (For those who don't know, a van line is like a franchisor, and the agents are like its franchisees in major markets around the country -- see this article for more background on the moving industry.) 

If you don’t know the local agent’s DOT number, ask them for it, or search for them by name on the FMCSA Website or the ProtectYourMove.gov Website. (Both Websites use the same database, but ProtectYourMove.gov is just moving companies, and a little easier to navigate.)

Here’s how all this works.

If a van line agent is moving a customer between states (interstate), the move is likely under the van line’s authority. So the number you see on the bill of lading is likely to be the van line’s DOT number, not the moving company’s. Transporting goods under the van line’s authority allows the agent to draw on the van line’s large fleet of vehicles, giving it greater flexibility in choosing routes and being more specific with delivery dates.

However, if you’re using the agent to make a local or in-state move, the moving company will be making that move under its own DOT number.

So what’s the rub?

Very little. Whether the move is made under the van line’s number, or the agent’s number, you shouldn’t see any difference in terms of quality. In fact, the agent is generally motivated to provide solid service for all its moves because the van line can (and does) kick out agents that are poor performers.

So why did I say earlier to check out the DOT info for both the van line and its agent?

Because you might not know under whose authority the move is being made. And frankly, if you’re already taking the initiative to check out licensing information, you might as well check both.

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

No Comments to this thread » Add Comment

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)