Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Other questions
Aug 18, 08:44
Question by milanovic (Ivana)

What's a reasonable price range for a local move?

I am moving from West Hartford to Simsbury in Connecticut. What is a reasonable price range?

Aug 18, 11:24
Answer by ()

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what you need to have moved, but we can give you a very rough ballpark. 

It's a pretty short move, roughly 25 miles depending on the exact addresses.

You'll pay by the hour for that move, and as a rule of thumb, I'd give the moving companies 45 minutes each way, assuming you choose a moving company in the area. I'm choosing a conservative estimate for the moving time -- you don't want the movers speeding with your stuff, do you?

So it now all depends on how much you need to have moved. Many local moving companies charge around $90 an hour for 3 movers. So let's say they can pack up and unload your house in an hour at each end. That's nearly 4 hours, or $360. I'd then tack on a certain percentage on either end of that, so a reasonable range might be $300 to $400. (This is for a very small move - a three-bedroom home can take up to 8 hours.)

However, the only way to know for sure what you'll pay is to call local Connecticut movers for estimates. Based on the stuff you need moved, they'll give you a better sense of the costs you'll be looking at.

Please note: This guess-timate only covers moving costs -- it doesn't count any packing charges you'll need, or any other charges not covered by the base rate. Be sure to ask about these, and scour your paperwork for them. You'll be happy you did.

Also, please note that I'm writing this answer for the high-cost East Coast -- you might find lower rates pretty much anywhere else. That's why it's so important to call around so you get a good idea of how much you should pay.

Related Story:

The Secret Behind Movers' 'Hidden Charges'

Good luck with your move,

@ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)