Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

PACKING AND PREPARING YOUR ITEMS
-> Packing questions
Aug 07, 10:48
Question by john.quintero-860 (John)

Should I move furniture, or sell it and buy at my new home?

Is it worth shipping furniture, or just sell my furniture before I relocate? I'm getting a lot of different quotes that are way over my budget.

Aug 07, 15:45
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

You answered your own question: If it's over your budget, you should probably just opt to get rid of it and buy something new or used in your new place. Because of the economy, it's pretty easy to get bargains on furniture.

Here's a way to handle this type of situation.

As you're packing, identify the items you might be able to do without or buy new at your new place. Maybe it's an old couch, or a dresser that your kids have pretty well trashed.

After moving companies have looked at the things to be moved, ask them how much you would save by not moving certain items. If it's just one item and you have a large load, it might not make a huge difference. However, if it's a few items, that could add up, then the savings might be enough to justify not moving it.

Let's say you're thinking about moving a couch. How much will it cost roughly to move that couch? Then, how much could you get for it by selling it before you move, and how much would buying a new one cost?

Then there's the intangible: how much pleasure will you get out of a new couch?

Don't dismiss this intangible -- it's a new place, so you might like to get a fresh start with some new items, so long as it fits your budget and makes economic sense.  

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)