Need a Mover?
Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Other questions
Jul 23, 13:04
Question by mehertzi (Margaret E. Hertzig, MD )

How much should I tip for a New York move?

I am moving from Manhattan to Riverdale in the Bronx. How much should I tip the movers?

Jul 24, 17:01
Answer by julie (Julie Owens)

This is the type of question that you'll get responses that are all over the map.

First off, a tip is nice but you should only feel compelled to give one for outstanding service. Don't feel like you must tip even if you were dissatisfied.

That said, there are a couple schools of thought. One is that it should be a percentage of your moving costs, like 10-15%. However, that's always seemed a bit excessive to me, especially if you've got a large, long distance move -- that could be a big chunk of change.

However, you're making a pretty short move, so a percentage in this case might make sense. If the move costs $600, maybe you tip $60 split up among the people who worked on your move.

Another rule of thumb is to tip based on the number of hours the movers worked. To break it down, check out this moving-tip calculator.

Good luck with your move,

Julie Owens @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)