Need a Mover?
Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Other questions
Jun 08, 13:57
Question by sierramegan (sierramegan@gmail.com)

Need a good moving company for moving from New York to Los Angeles

My husband and I are moving from NYC to Los Angeles, and I have been totally overwhelmed by trying to choose a moving company. We have a smallish one bedroom apartment and we want to move in august but we are flexible on exact dates. We are trying to keep the move under $2000, is that possible? I am getting rates as high as $3,500 and as low as $1,100 (which makes me a bit nervous). What rate should I expect for moving a one bedroom NY to LA? And how do I find a cheaper moving company that isn't going to scam us? We have also been throwing around driving in a rental truck, but that seems to be less cost effective when you add in gas and hotels and food. Help!

Jun 09, 10:07
Answer by ()

The problem you might be facing is that you have a relatively small move, so the New York moving companies are likely charging you a minimum to cover their costs (just the gas for a truck from NYC to Los Angeles is a lot these days).

That said, $2,000 for such a long distance move is probably too low -- if you can't do the move yourself for substantially less than $2,000 with a rental truck, how can a moving company? But you're right to be skeptical of the $1,100 moving quote -- they're likely giving you a low bid to win your business, and then lard on other costs later. Avoid them. I don't know how much you're moving, but a good rule of thumb is $.80 to $1 a pound.

Here's what you should do: Get two more moving quotes so you have a very good idea of what the going rate is. If you get quotes higher than $2,000, maybe ask them how you can shave money from the move to closer to your desired target price.

While you're doing that, check out a "self-move." In this option, you load your stuff onto a moving truck, they do the driving, and then you unload at your new home. This option might be the most cost-effective for you. ABF U-Pack and Broadway Express are both options for you, and it sounds like you're willing to do a bit of the work yourself.  

Finally, since you're moving in New York, be sure you're checked out all of your building's move-our requirements, and be sure there's enough space for a moving truck. Also, clarify with your moving company who will pay for any parking tickets you get. Sometimes they insist that you pay them.  

And one more 'finally' -- you might feel overwhelmed organizing all this, but it's worth it -- a bad moving company can really make your life difficult, so the more time and effort you put on the front end, the less angst you'll have during your move.

Related Articles:

10 Mistakes When Hiring a Mover

13 Ways to Cut the Cost of Your Move

How to Find a Trustworthy Moving Company

Good luck with your move,

@ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)