You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Other questions
Jun 06, 16:54
Question by temitopea (T.A.)

Long distance moving help from Philadelphia to Portland, Oregon

I am moving to Philadelphia PA from Portland OR (talk about long distance moving) and would like to take my bed/boxspring, couch, dining table and household stuff e.g. pots/pans etc. I also need to move my car. What do you recommend? The price on most options I have come across does not justify moving these things across the countr

Jun 09, 15:27
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

I think you may have answered your own question: the cost of moving these items might be more than the worth of the items. 

Many people make the mistake of paying to move stuff that's worth less than whatever they're paying in moving costs. You can often come out ahead by selling the items you're thinking about moving, and then buying them new or used at your new home. You also have less hassle with moving them.

I assume you're checked with moving companies. How about self-move companies? In this option, the moving company does the driving, but you load the truck, and unload it at your new home. It can be more economical. Companies that offer this service include Broadway Express and ABF U-Pack. You can also go here for moving quotes

Other options to check out include mobile storage, where you load a mobile storage container and they transport it to your new home.

Finally, for help on moving your car, please see this article on auto transport.

Related Content:

10 Mistakes When Hiring a Mover

13 Ways to Cut the Cost of Your Move

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)