Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Tax deductions
Feb 24, 17:57
Question by tjohnson (Tim J.)

What IRS tax form do I use for deducting moving expenses?

I started moving in December 2008 (looking for a home, and looking for a job) and the move won't be completed until February 28, 2009. May I use the 2009 receipts for allowable expenses when filing my 2008 taxes? If I can use the January and February deductions along with the December deductions I would be able to get a sizable deduction. For 2009 I will have to use the standard deduction, so using the December expenses in 2008 I'll get a small deduction. The January and February continuation of the move has higher dollar amounts, but the deductions will not help me on the 2009 taxes because I will have to use the standard deduction. I will no longer own a home so I will not have enough expenses to itemize. Will the IRS allow me to use the entire moving project on my 2008 taxes. Thank you. I couldn't find any reference to this in the IRS publications.

Feb 25, 08:04
Answer by julie (Julie Owens)

We're not accountants, so be sure to check with your accountant on this issue before making any final decisions. But basically, moving expenses are not accounted for as itemized deductions on your schedule A -- they go on Form 3903 and then they're deducted on line 26 on the first page of your 1040.

Read up more on it on Pub 521. This should make your question about which year to account for the expenses moot, but it's probably the year in which you incurred the actual expenses.

Again, check with your accountant.

For more information on whether your move qualifies for a deduction, see this article on deducting moving expenses.

Good luck with your move,

Julie Owens @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)