You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

PACKING AND PREPARING YOUR ITEMS
-> Moving boxes and supplies
Feb 20, 14:00
Question by heddicundle (Susan)

How do I ship wardrobe boxes overseas?

I need about 8-10 large size boxes for clothes. Where can I order them from? How much weight will these boxes be per box for clothing only? How quickly are the boxes sent to my home address? If I over-order boxes, could I send them back and receive a refund? I’d then like to ship the boxes by expedite from San Francisco to London i.e. within 3-4 days. Do you offer this service or do I have to contact each individual recommended shipping company?

Feb 20, 14:02
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

I'll answer your questions one by one.

You can order wardrobe boxes from Websites like Shop4boxes, or you can get them from retail stores like paper supply companies or home retailers like Home Depot.

If you pack the wardrobe boxes with just clothes, you can expect each box to weigh about 75 pounds. There is extra space at the bottom of these boxes that’s good for light items like pillows, blankets, shoes, etc. Don’t put heavy stuff there as it can destroy the box (or destroy the poor guy who’s trying to pick it up).

The boxes can be delivered overnight (though you should try to plan your packing a little farther in advance..).

As far as over-ordering, the return policy depends on the individual company, but I don’t know if I’d let that dictate my decision. Just be sure you order enough so you don’t have to keep ordering more.

We’re not a moving company ourselves, so checking with international moving companies about these shipments. If it’s just a few boxes, try UPS or any of the larger shipping companies for an estimate.

Finally, one other thing: when you ship to London, whoever ships for you may have to repack the boxes and do an inventory -- customs requires that the contents be certified by the moving company or shipping company.  UPS can do that for you also. So before you get into the packing process, find out how this will be handled.

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)