Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

TRUCK RENTAL & SELF MOVING
-> Truck rental questions
Feb 04, 04:14
Question by troywest1967-659 (troy)

Can I transport a vehicle in a rental truck?

I'm moving across country and plan on renting a truck and moving everything myself. I need to transport two vehicles as well and I'm wondering if it's possible to have one vehicle towed behind the truck in a car carrier, while the other vehicles is loaded into the back of the rental truck with my property.I'm not sure if the rental companies allow this,but it seems to me that professional moving companies do it. I understand it would need to be secured very well and have the battery disconected.If you have heard of this being done before i would appreciate it.

Feb 05, 10:04
Answer by tjohnson (Tim J.)

You’re right, moving companies do this, but they generally aren’t big fans of it, and they’re very unlikely to do it in the summer months when they have a lot of demand for business.

Towing a car is no problem. I don’t know the rental company’s policy on having a car inside the truck, but I’m betting they forbid it – getting a car into a truck is no small feat, and the risk for damage to the car, or injury to people loading it, would probably lead them to forbid it.  There’s also the danger of having the car inside the truck – shifting around, gas fumes, etc.

Still, doesn’t hurt to ask. You also have the option of shipping the car separately -- this article helps explain how to ship a car. If you don't want to do that, maybe a friend would be willing to drive the second car?

Good luck with your move,

Tim J. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)