Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Boxes

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Moving estimates
Apr 16, 17:46
Question by sadsad (jen)

Charging by cubic feet or pounds?

How are movers to charge you for moving by cubic feet or pound?? I was told there is a law that was passed in 2005 that states it should be by pound can you help me to find this law?

Apr 18, 12:57
Answer by julie (Julie Owens)

Jen,

Here is a similar question that I answered a while ago:

http://www.movinganswers.org/thread/196/Moving-estimates-by-cubic-feet-vs-moving-estimates-by-pounds.html

The best reference to the law of 8/2/2005 can be found here:

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5311

The team of MovingScam.com give references and explanations of the new regulations that are aimed to give better protection for the consumers.

At the same time its important to remember that charging by weight is only required for non-binding estimates. Binding estimates by their nature give you enough protection, and many movers base them on a volume estimation (in fact, all the estimates are done by summarizing the volume of the items and then multiplying the result (usually) by 7 - the acceptable volume/weight ratio for household goods).

Good luck with your move,

Julie Owens @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
Horisontal banner

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)