Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Other questions
Mar 14, 16:59
Question by meydele (Susan Lerner)

How to choose between 3 bids, 2 volume-based and 1 weight-based?

Planning a move from Los Angeles to Brooklyn and want to check on the 3 van lines I am getting quotes from (an Allied Agent, Beverly Hills transfer, Flat Rate moving Systems and California NY Express). 2 gave binding estimates based on volume and the third is a traditional big van line. Aside from cost considerations (I assume the volume movers will be cheaper) what should I be considering in making a choice?

Mar 14, 18:14
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Susan,

As I understand from your question that you got flat offers (cubic-foot based) from Flat Rate and California-New York Express, and non-binding weight-based estimate from Beverly Hills Transfer (Allied agent).

First of all I wouldn't worry about the fact that your flat estimates are based on cubic feet, since once you have a sealed flat offer from a company that is what you are going to pay in the end.

Of course, make sure you read the entire contract and ask the salesperson under what conditions your "flat" price might change, and then have him or her sign on the contract that it will not change under any other conditions. Keep in mind that you could be charged for things like extra packing materials, shuttle service (depending of course where in Brooklyn you are moving to) etc.

Other than that here is a quick review of the three companies you are looking at: Flat Rate is a respectable brand and their California branch, although quite new, stands up to the general Flat Rate standards. California New York Express is 10 years in business and have relatively large fleet, however as of today they have 24 complaints in the BBB in the last 3 years, so I would be cautious about them (also I found some negativity about them on other consumer sites, see movingscam.com).Beverly Hills Transfer is almost 90 years in business (!), and being Allied agent its pretty reliable, and I am sure not very cheap either.

So to your last question, obviously beside the cost you should consider the reliability of the company you choose, so I would suggest you do some more research on those companies beside what I told you here. You can use the same rules as we did to rate companies according to our SOUR algorithm

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

No Comments to this thread » Add Comment

Moving Boxes & Supplies

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)