You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Licensing questions
Feb 19, 14:25
Question by FigGirl (Kimberly F.)

What is Tariff Discount?

Hello, I have been comparing moving co. for my move from San Antonio, TX to Evans, GA on May 1,08'. I happened to come across a co. named United Men Moving Inc. and I made a 10% deposit. Although, after doing so I doubled check to background of this co. @ www.safersys.org and found out they are a new co. with their app. with the gov. still pending and no insurance! The only reason why I went with them because of their "Tariff Discount" of 49% off of my total. Is there a valid moving co. that is covered with insurance and bonded, also that may give this "Tariff Discount" to assist me in my move?

Feb 19, 16:03
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Kimberly,

"Tariff Discount" is not really something you should base your decision on when choosing a moving company. Those tariff discounts usually look good on the estimate forms, but in reality you get paid by weight, so what you should care about (money-wise) is the price per lb (I assume you are moving long distance). For local moves it is price per hour, plus all the additional costs around.

Your first concern when looking for mover is whether they are licensed, insured, and enough time in business to have good record with consumers (check BBB for example). Only then you should be concerned about the price - otherwise you will get a "cheap" estimate that will grow into some really ugly inflated "total" in the end of the move.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
Moving Boxes & Supplies

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2018, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)