You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Moving estimates
Nov 20, 04:16
Question by baburns (Beverly Burns)

Moving small shipment overseas

I have inherited some small items from my parents. Most of the items have sentimental value and would completely fit in a small storage container 5 by 5 feet. The items consists of paintings, some silver, a couple of antique dining room chairs and a dresser and rocking chair, plus a few small items packed in small moving boxes. We are presently living in Stavanger, Norway and have a storage unit in Anchorage, Alaska. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to ship these items to Anchorage or Stavanger from Los Angeles California, the zip code is 90004. How much would storage costs be in Los Angeles?

Nov 25, 11:54
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Beverly,

Currently, the best way to get an estimate for that type of a move would be to request several free quotes from international movers. Both destinations require shipping, however shipping to Norway would obviously be more expensive and require customs procedures and fees. As far as I know when shipping oversees you reserve a 20' or 40' container (approx. 1000 cu/ft or 2000 cu/ft), however since you have less then 250 cu/ft you should probably look for a more creative deal (like sharing a container with other shipments) - but the best way to see what is available today is to have the movers contact you with their offers and explanations.

I understand your items are well packed and ready to go. If not then it could be a problem since shipping valuables such as art works and silver could be a problem (see Do-not-move Items). You should probably consider shipping some of the items (like your silver) using parcel carrier such as FedEx or UPS (those shipments can be extra insured and easily tracked). Thats is of course if you can have someone close in L.A. help you with that part, and if you are willing to pay a little bit extra.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)