You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

HELPFUL LINKS:

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> How to save on a move
Aug 06, 15:29
Question by keisha53 (Keisha)

Small shipment: should I ship or hire movers?

I have to move 15 boxes, a large television, and a surround sound system. Should I ship or hire movers?

Aug 07, 04:22
Answer by bobfein (Bob F.)

Keisha,

I assume you are moving long distance and by shipping you mean using the services of companies like FedEx or UPS.

Your shipment happens to be just too small to move with regular movers (they usually have a minimum requirement of 1,000-2,000 lbs, so if your shipment is lighter then that you can still use movers, but will pay for the minimum weight).

At the same time its too big to ship with a parcel service (you could do it, of cource, but it will cost you a fortune). There are advantages of course, such as prompt delivery (with movers you would wait for at least couple of weeks, and often even longer). I also believe it is safer for your items to move with a parcel service (since you can trace each individual item).

There is another option - its called "small movers". There are few companies that specialize in long distance moves of just few items, and the cost of it is of course cheaper then the parcel services. Those companies however have limited destinations (usually from one big city to another). Try Sterling Van Lines or MiniMoves.com - I know those companies specialize in small moves across country (however I don't know how good they are, so ask for references before using any of them). 

Good luck with your move,

Bob F. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
Moving Boxes & Supplies

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)