HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Storage

Moving Made Simple

PACKING AND PREPARING YOUR ITEMS
-> Storage questions
Jul 27, 18:50
Question by clarke (Jim clarke)

Storing furniture on a trailer for several months

I'm moving to Georgia and will have my furniture in a freight trailer from August to February. We have shrunk-wrapped our funiture and have bubble-wrapped a lot of things. With the various weather conditions, will I have a problem with my funiture that is covered with plastic wrap? The freight trailer does not have climate control.

Aug 07, 04:56
Answer by henry (Henry Peterson)

Jim,

Six month in a non-climate controlled trailer environment could prove to be challenging for your furniture.

Here are some hazards you should be aware of, and steps you should take to protect your items from it:

1. Water damage: make sure you inspect the trailer to see if there is any risk for leakages. During the rain season if the trailer is leaking plastic cover might not be enough to protect your furniture from being water-damaged. To provide extra protection it would be smart to throw some moving blankets over the furniture - this way most of the water that could penetrate the trailer would be absorbed by this layer (you could use paper pads as well, since its much more cost effective then the regular moving blankets) 

2. Dust and moisture damage: both could be prevented by using plastic wrapping as you did, however in your case I would put extra layer of plastic wrapping. Make sure there is not a single spot left without being covered with shrink wrap.

I would also suggest you to make periodic inspections of the shipment during the storage term, for example to make sure there is no pest or other damage.

Good luck with your move,

Henry Peterson @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

Aug 17, 09:22
Comment by clarke (Jim clarke)

Thank you for your answers and taking the time to respond.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Moving Made Simple

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2018, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)