Moving from Zip code:
Moving Boxes

HELPFUL LINKS:

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Moving estimates
Jul 20, 04:53
Question by edscarr (Edd)

Reasonable price range for my move

I plan to move my furniture and some boxes from my 2 bedroom apartment in New York City to Dallas, Texas in late August, and I have already received several estimates from moving companies. However, the price range is very wide, and this is very confusing. What would be considered a reasonable price for this kind of move? I am looking for good service, but want to stay within reasonable price boundaries.

Jul 20, 07:09
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Ed,

The fact that you've gotten several quotes within very wide price range can be easily explained.

First, lets examine your case:

Lets assume that you have regular two bedrooms filled with regular household stuff and furniture. Since the right way to estimate a long distance move is by evaluating the total weight of the shipment, from my experience the weight of your shipment should be somewhere between 4000 and 7000 lbs.

At the same time, again, from my experience, the average price range that movers in New York charge per lb is somewhere between $0.50 and $0.60. This gives you a pretty wide price range of $2000-$4200, and I am pretty sure that most of your quotes fall within this range (those that are not should be treated with suspicion...)

Having this calculation in mind you should also remember that a long distance move has many other charges, outside the charge per weight, and that each company has its own tariffs and pricing rules (and some of them also have not so healthy practices you should be aware of as well).

Here is how it works:

The estimates you received from different companies could have been based either on estimated weight, estimated volume, or list of your items. Also, the services included in the estimated price may vary from company to company.

To ensure you get a good service for a reasonable price you should:

1) Request an On-site Estimate. If you have two bedrooms worth of items, the best thing you can do is to have a professional come over and write down the exact list of your inventory. Over the phone you might not remember all the items.

2) If you don't have time and want to schedule your move over the phone then get all the price quotes in writing via fax. This way you will be able to see what exactly is included in the quote. Keep in mind that you can only be sure of what is included if you have an estimate in writing.

3) Take few minutes to compare the estimates (and I don't mean just the final prices). All valid estimate quotes have description of what is included. (e.g. "The Price is based on weight of the shipment" or "The Price is guaranteed based on the list of items", etc.) The estimate should say what is included in the price for free - e.g. wrapping of all furniture, stairs, tolls, gas, travel, $0.60 per pound limited liability insurance, etc. Some companies will provide you with even more free services, like packing of electronics, wardrobe boxes etc.

This will help you not to choose company based only on the price that they offer but also based on the service.

Also, you should be aware that you price might be higher if in your inventory you have items of extra value (e.g. chandeliers, mirrors, antiques, plasma TVs, etc.)

Now, because there is an enormous amount of companies out there, and many of those companies are new, to ensure you get the kind of service you deserve it's vital that you do a company background check.

To learn how to choose good moving company check our moving guide (see this chapter: http://www.movingatoz.com/MovingGuide/Chapters/choosing-mover.php ).

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)