You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Boxes & Supplies

FINDING A MOVER
-> Company public records
May 16, 18:32
Question by sheilaj (sheila)

Consumer Report: All Points Moving and Storage (Atlas Van Lines), TxDOT #005846831C

Hello, My husband and I will be moving from Austin, TX to Chapel Hill, NC in two separate shipments, about 1.5 months apart. The first will take most of the boxed things (clothes, books, kitchen gear, etc.) and some excess furniture, and the second will take the rest. We'll drive our own cars so we can transport some valuables and our two dogs ourselves. I'll be in North Carolina to close on our new home at the time of the first shipment, so I can meet the movers to supervise the delivery, though I'll be back and forth between TX and NC after that for a while so I need the delivery date to be reasonably reliable (maybe 3-4 day window). I'd be grateful for your help evaluating which company I should use. I'm also interested in your advice on whether I should ask for a binding estimate on the total (both shipments combined) or each part separately, i.e., if I'm unhappy I could switch movers for the second part. I'm not sure if they would charge more on a per pound basis in that case. Here are the four movers I'm considering. I have not yet gotten quotes from any of these companies, but I've checked them out with the Central TX Better Business Bureau and found 0-4 complaints per company in 36 months. 1) Central Transportation Systems (United Van Lines) 2) All Points Moving and Storage (Atlas Van Lines) 3) Ace Relocation Systems (Atlas Van Lines) 4) Berger (Allied Van Lines) ** You have reviewed Berger Allied before, but with emphasis on their NJ office -- I am interested in the Austin office. Their BBB reports show a slightly higher complaint rate (based on www.centraltx.bbb.org) but I don't know if that's statistically significant. Thanks in advance for your help! - Sheila

May 23, 10:53
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

All Points Moving and Storage, USDOT# - could not locate

Safety Of Use Rating: AA
(99.79%, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - see how we calculate SOUR)

From their website www.allpointsmoving.com:

• This company is an agent for Atlas Van Lines.
  • Licensing information: TxDOT No. 005846831C
  • Contact Information:
    phones:
    800-527-1663
    713-690-7000
    address:
    Austin:
    3815-A Jarrett Way, Suite 180
    Austin, TX 78728
    Houston:
    7225 West Sam Houston Pkwy. North
    Houston, TX 77040-3190

• Members of: BBB

From Safersys.org:

We could not locate this company in Safersys.org database. However, for the purpose of this investigation we will use the TX DOT file that we found on www.dot.state.tx.us:
  • Licensing info: TxDOT #005846831C
  • Trucks: 29.
  • Phones: 713-690-7000
  • Office location: 7225 West Sam Houston Pkwy. North, Houston, TX 77040
  • The information in the Tx DOT report indicates no problems with their license and insurance.
From Better Business Bureau:

• Members of the BBB
  • Original Business Start Date: January 1974
  • Number of complaints processed in the last 36 months: 1. Complaints issues: Contract Disputes (1). The complaint was resolved.
    From other sources:
    • MovingScam.com: no mentioning of that company on MovingScam.com
    • ConsumerAffairs.com: no mentioning of that company on ConsumerAffairs.com
    • RipOffReport.com: no mentioning of that company on RipOffReport.com (there are several reports about two different companies with the same name in MD and CA, no relation)
    • Complaints.com: no mentioning of that company on Complaints.com
    • MoverReviews.com: no mentioning of that company on MoverReviews.com
    • Other Sources: no other mentioning of that company found elsewhere.

Summary:

I would highly recommend using this company. It has maintained a very low level of complaints compared to the size of their fleet, and it is estimated that only 1 out of 400 moves results in some consumer dissatisfaction, which is practically negligible.

In any case, to stay on a safe side follow the guidelines in our Moving Guide regarding closing deals with movers and understanding your estimate, and make sure you insist on having an on-site visual and getting a binding estimate (but that should be done regardless of who you choose for your move), and insure your valuable items on MovingInsurance.com.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
    You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

Moving Made Simple

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)