You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Boxes & Supplies

FINDING A MOVER
-> Company public records
May 15, 17:55
Question by docs99 (Brooke Dokken)

Moving from Boston to the Midwest, what is the reasonable price range?

Hello, I am in the process of researching moving companies that offer service from Boston, MA to Lincoln, NE. In doing so, I've come across a wide range of bids for the move (ie. $1300 - $4000). I came across a company called North America Moving Systems, originally out of NJ. Their bid seamed reasonable ($1500) considering the relatively small amount of household goods that I would be moving, and so I began to set their price as a benchmark for others. After receiving a call back from a moving company out of Florida, I informed them that I had received a much lower bid and was not interested unless they could match it. The individual I spoke with became very concerned and suggested that North America Moving Systems may be a scam. He said that no moving company could offer this service for less then $2300 and that I was likely setting myself up to be ripped-off. He stated that there were many rules and regulations in place that would not permit any company to offer such a deal. Is this true? Or is it possible that the Florida moving company may have been trying to scare me into paying more money? How am I to know if a moving company may be scamming me? I read the non-rateable review on North America Moving Systems posted on this site; would they still be considered a risky company to choose? Any additional info or advice would be incredibly helpful! Thanks, Brooke

May 15, 20:08
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Brooke,

Lets analyze your case:

1) First, lets take a look at the price range: you believe that your shipment is small, so assuming a case when it is below the minimum that most moving companies have for interstate moves (which is usually 1500 lbs) the price range for your move should be within the $0.90-$1.10 per lbs range, that is $1350-$1650.

Note that this price only includes the pick up and the transportation of the shipment (additional fees such as packing materials or shuttle service might inflate the bill by $200-$700 more if you are not careful during the booking period).

Given that I would say you should be careful about the $1500 estimate - I bet they never came to your house to give you a precise estimate followed by the binding offer.

2) Second, what to do with a non-ratable company: as you probably understand we do not recommend to use any company that was not rated by us or that received a relatively low SOUR (I would say B is the lowest you should consider going with).

Non-ratable company is non-ratable for a good reason - there is simply not enough information about this company, so it could be an A company or an F - the risk is all yours, so why taking it when there are plenty of good companies around to go with.

3) Third - hiring a Florida company for MA->NE move: the question is - why would you consider doing that?

It is a well known fact that Florida is infested with scam movers, and many of the scam moving brokers are located there. I would say for a MA->NE move you better hire a Massachusetts based company (or at least a New England one, or a Nebraska one that has a truck in the area during your move dates) and have them come over for a visual estimate and a binding price offer.

Finally, I haven't heard of any particular regulations that forbid movers to bid low, however there are regulations that force the mover to unload your shipment in case you pay up to 110% of the official estimated price, but in general you should avoid putting yourself in situations like that in the first place.

The best advice I can give you regarding your case is disregard all the estimates that were not given to you in a form of a flat binding price (including all the additional services and fees) by a visual estimator at your home.
That is your tool number one against being ripped off.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

Moving Made Simple

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)