FINDING A MOVER
Consumer Report: Starving Students, USDOT #318223
-> Company public recordsMay 07, 13:15
Question by robinls (Robin Stark)
Would you recommend Starving Students for a move from San Francisco to Chicago? Thanks.
May 08, 22:37
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)
Starving Students , USDOT#318223
Safety Of Use Rating: B
(85.52%, RELATIVELY SAFE - see how we calculate SOUR)
Starving Students is a major national company with headquarters in L.A. and 36 offices/branches in 9 states. All those branches operate under the same DOT license, therefore we will rate this company as one.
However, it is important to understand that different branches have different public records, therefore if you are interested in a particular branch it is important to investigate that branch separately from other branches.
From their website http://www.ssmovers.com/:
- This company is independent (not an agent for any major van lines).
- Licensing information: US DOT #318223
- Contact Information:
1850 Sawtelle Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025
- Members of: AMSA, CMSA
Safersys.org reveals the following information:
From Better Business Bureau:
- Licensing info: US DOT #318223, MC #166404
- Trucks: .
- Phones: (310) 235-6683
- Office location: 1850 Sawtelle Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025
- The information in the Safersys.org report indicates no serious problems with their license and insurance.
- Inspections section shows the following statistics:
- Driver out-of-service rating: slightly higher than the national average
- Vehicle out-of-service rating: below the national average
We found 22 BBB files in different states for Starving Students. There was a total of 313 complaints (230 in L.A. which is a very high number), and 10 out of those 22 files list unsatisfactory record with the BBB due to unanswered complaints.
Interesting fact that is common to all the BBB records is that none of the branches is a member of the BBB.
From other sources:
- Not members of the BBB
- Original Business Start Date: 1/1/1973
- Number of complaints processed in the last 36 months: 313. It is important to notice that the San Francisco file indicates no complaints, however it is possible that all the complaints were submitted to the main branch in L.A. (which would explain why there is such a high number of complaints there)
The result of our algorithm when applied to this company might seem confusing. Since we take into account ALL branches of Starving Students we get a picture of a B company, meaning that it is relatively safe to move with them (1 out of 7 moves result in customer dissatisfaction).
Its true that this company has numerous indications of poor service all over the internet, however it is also important to note that their fleet is huge, and therefore the volume of moves that this company handles nationwide is very large (estimated over 40,000 a year, or over 100 moves a day on average).
At the same time it is also important to remember that in some states (like Colorado and Massachusetts) this company keeps very good record. On the other hand, its situation in California is quite grim, in fact vast majority of their complaints is in California.
I would recommend you to do some more shopping around to see what other companies have to offer. You can get few quotes from several long distance movers right here. In any case, never book with a company that did not perform a visual estimate in your house and did not give you a flat price for your move. Also, check this thread to learn How to find a good moving company.
Good luck with your move,
Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!
Need a Mover?
Moving Quotes - START HERE:
Rate this Answer
1. What do you know about North America Moving Systems?
2. Consumer Report: Royal Moving & Storage (in NY), USDOT #1230294
3. Consumer Report: North American Van Lines USDOT #070851
4. Consumer Report: Nassau World Wide Movers, Inc. (United), USDOT #16815
5. Consumer Report: Security Moving & Storage, USDOT #
6. Consumer Report: Atlant Express, LLC. USDOT #1561588
7. Consumer Report: Expedia Moving and Storage, USDOT #1602529
8. Consumer Report: A A A Moving & Storage Corporation, Oakdale, NY
9. Consumer Report: Ron's Delivery & Moving in Little Rock, USDOT #1326976
10. Consumer Report: Serpa Transport, Inc. (VA), USDOT #1209469
See all questions from FINDING A MOVER->Company public records
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service