You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Made Simple

Auto Transport

TRUCK RENTAL & SELF MOVING
-> Other questions
Sep 06, 10:14
Question by virgalona (E. Holmes-Luciano)

Truck rental vs. self moving vs. movers

In October I am moving from a house in CO. to an apt. in FL. I have a Jeep Wrangler that I may or may not drive, but probably will, as 6 cats are going with me. I will also be taking some house-plants. I need advise as to whether or not to move myself, with help to drive the moving vehicle or to hire a moving Co. Need price quotes, sizes that are available, etc. Will not have too much furniture, but maybe a couple pieces which are antiques and a lot of boxes. Need answers asap...Thanks!

Sep 06, 12:29
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Your final choice of moving method will depend mostly on your desire to actually move your items and furniture, and to drive the car or the truck to Florida.

For example, the most expensive and (probably) the less stressful choice would be to hire professionals: door-to-door long distance moving company for your furniture and boxes, auto transport for your Jeep, and pet transporters for your cats. That choice, however, might not agree with your budget, and it is still better to have control over some aspects of your move.

Driving your car with the pets and some of the most valuable and/or fragile belongings, and hiring door-to-door movers for the rest of the items/furniture might prove to be the most optimal choice in your case. Keep in mind that driving from Colorado to Florida will take 4-7 days (depending on how you plan to drive), so you would need to plan well where to stay while on the road. Read more about travelling with pets in our Moving Guide -> Moving With Pets.

Regarding hiring full service movers: the best and fastest way to learn about availability of services and current prices would be to request free quotes from long distance movers in Colorado (click here to get up to 6 quotes from our affiliated movers). You will get emails and have companies' representatives call you with their price offers. Keep in mind though: price should not be the only factor to consider when choosing a full service mover (read our Moving Guide -> Choosing a Mover section).

And finally, renting a truck could be an option, however you will then need to hire a car moving service, and probably some moving labor to help you load and unload the heavy furniture. That might turn out to be more expensive then the first option I described.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

No Comments to this thread » Add Comment

Horisontal banner

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)