Search Moving Answers:
Ask Your Moving Question:

Need a Mover?
Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:

-> Licensing questions
Jan 06, 04:44
Question by viphq (viphq)

What are the Minimum Requirements that a Moving Company Should Have?

Is their any licenses, registrations or insurance requirements that the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania moving companies must have to do business here? If so what are they?

Jan 12, 13:14
Answer by henry (Henry Peterson)

Every moving company you work with should be licensed. Not all of them are, so you should verify all licenses before you choose to work with any movers.

Here is a break-down of the various moving licenses so that you will know what to ask a company the next time you move.
  1. Intrastate.
    About 20 U.S. states have regulations regarding household and personal property motor carrier services. The regulations may fall under the authority of the Public Utility Commission such as in California, under the Secretary of State as in Idaho or under the Department of Transportation as in Connecticut. In some states these authorities issue their own licenses, others require evidence of the DOT (Department of Transport) license and then issue a letter of approval or certificate.

  2. Interstate.
    Regulating interstate movers and freight carriers falls under the U.S Department of Transportation’s subsidiary Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). FMCSA has a very helpful website dedicated to provide move related information to consumers. Information on this website is very useful like the “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” section. The website also has a search tool which can be used to search for moving companies by their name, DOT license or motor carrier number. The search results provide you will a companies bio, safety and insurance information, fleet size, complaint history and an evaluation of their safety guidelines.

  3. International.
    Moves outside North America are regulated by the Federal Maritime Commission. Ocean Transportation Intermediaries are required by law to be licensed and bonded. FMC’s website has an updated list of licensed carriers for international moves. In addition to checking the license of an international moving company, you should also consider factors like their fleet size, location in host and departure countries, experience and complaint history.

Good luck with your move,

Henry Peterson @

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2018, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)