You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

TRUCK RENTAL & SELF MOVING
-> Self moving questions
Apr 09, 20:09
Question by Jenna (jenna taylor)

Moving cross country using U-Pack We-Drive company

My family is being relocated to Houston TX from New Hampshire. We don't have a huge amount to move, about 1 bedroom worth of furniture/boxes/etc. We've decided to sell most of what we have here and buy once we get there. My thoughts are running towards hiring one of those "Pod" type moving services. We'll pack it up, they'll move it and store it, and once we're there for a bit (In corporate housing) and have found a place we want to move into, we'll pick the stuff up. This is how I THINK it works.. but I feel that since I've never done this before perhaps I'm being naive. Any suggestions on companies? Or if perhaps I'm not thinking this through?

Apr 09, 21:52
Answer by bobfein (Bob F.)

Jenna,

You are absolutely right about how it works. This method is called "Self-Moving" and companies that provide that service are called "Self Movers" or "U-Pack We-Drive".

I recommend you to start from getting several quotes from self moving companies (you can request quotes here). Don't choose the cheapest, check the background of each company you consider hiring.

After you hire such company they will bring a large crate (or several crates) to your house. You will load all your items and furniture and seal the crate. Then they will pick it up and store it until you request this crate to be delivered to your new location (make sure you discuss all the details with the company representative).

You will have some time to unload the crate, depending on your deal with the company. Also, it might take some time from the moment you request the crate to the moment they actually deliver it.

Also, do not confuse Self Moving service with Mobile Storage service. Mobile storage is actually a large weather-proof container that you would either keep on your property or ask them to transport and keep it at their facility. Its very useful if you want to remodel your home or if you plan to move within the radius of the storage facility. It's less useful for long distance moves though.

I invite you to learn more about self moving in our Moving Guide->Self Moving Basics.

Good luck with your move,

Bob F. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

Moving Made Simple

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2014, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)