Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Boxes

FINANCIAL SIDE OF MOVING
-> Other questions
Aug 08, 18:49
Question by alicefixstein (Alice Fixstein)

When am I supposed to pay my moving company?

Usually, when am I supposed to pay my moving company? Is it common to arrange any kind of payment plan?

Aug 08, 21:04
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

If your move is a one-day local move, you will need to pay only upon delivery, usually before movers unload the truck. In most cases it will be enough to show them that you have enough money to pay them, and they will close all payment issues with you when the job is done.

Long distance moves, however, are a completely different story. Normally typical moving company would request 50% of the bill to be paid prior to or right after the pickup, and 50% of the remaining balance upon delivery.

It is understandable, since movers try to protect themselves from fraudulent clients trying to avoid payments (and there were lots of cases that I personally heard of). However, you should also remember that not so long ago moving industry was infested inside out with fraudulent movers (and it is still not completely recovered from that illness), so for your own sake make sure you don't give away money without any solid collateral security.

As far as we know there are no special regulation as to when to pay the movers, and it is mostly up to you to negotiate better terms for yourself. Types of payment are also negotiable, and you should expect movers to give particular preference to forms of payment as close to cash as possible. Still, keep in mind that there are no obligations on your side to agree to those terms as well.

Also, keep in mind one relatively new law that makes it easier for customers to deal with rogue movers: if in the end of your move you are presented with a bill that is higher than the estimate you were originally given, movers are not allowed to claim more than 10% over that estimate before they release your belongings.

Regarding payment plans: again, it is up to your negotiation skills. I haven't heard of any payment plans offered by typical moving companies, although maybe some of the big ones do offer various financing options.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

No Comments to this thread » Add Comment

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2018, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)