You need help with:

Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

FINDING A MOVER
-> Other questions
Mar 19, 11:55
Question by metz1055 (Max)

How long should an on site estimate take

How long does it take for a moving company to do an on site estimate once they arrive at my home? It's a one bedroom apartment, I have about 45 boxes already packed. I would like to schedule about four companies and I would like to give each of them enough time. Thank you

Mar 19, 13:03
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Max,

Visual estimate consists of two parts: the actual survey, and the offer the estimator will make once s/he concludes and summarizes the survey results.

For your type of move the estimator will only require around 30-40 minutes to complete the survey and come up with a solid BINDING FLAT PRICE estimate (basically, an offer).

You have to remember that most visual estimators are also salesmen, and they will try to seal a deal with you on the spot. To prevent that I would recommend you to have all the estimates scheduled one after another on the same day, and make sure that each estimator knows that s/he only has that much time before meeting face to face with the representative of the other company. Estimators really don't like that.

Personally, I don't believe that showing other offers to the estimators is a good idea, even though you could probably get the prices down as a result. The reason for that is pretty simple - you want to get unbiased estimates, evaluate and compare them, and then try to take the price down over the phone.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

No Comments to this thread » Add Comment

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)