Is there a way to tow 2 cars at the same time?
-> Other questionsFeb 09, 20:41
Question by tammyst (tammy)
Is there a way to tow 2 cars? My son is moving from NH to FL and he only has 500 cubic feet of belongings, but needs to move 2 cars. Is there a truck rental that will allow you to put a car on a carrier and tow the other one?
Feb 10, 00:57
Answer by julie (Julie Owens)
If I understand your question correctly, you want to know if it is possible to rent a truck and use it to tow two cars at the same time. The only theoretical way to do it, as you mentioned in your question, is to attach a car carrier to the truck and put car #1 on it, and then attach a car dolly (or another car carrier) to the first car carrier, with car #2.
For that purpose I researched this option with 3 major nationwide truck rentals: Uhaul, Budget and Penske. Here is the information I managed to collect from their websites and from their representatives:
As a result I can conclude that this solution is problematic. It seems like it is either not so safe, or not so legal, or most probably both.
- Uhaul: they offer you a wide array of moving and towing services, including towing your car with their truck or towing one car with another. However, during reservation they have no option for two cars towing combination, only one.
- Budget Truck Rental: Budget have the car towing option if you rent their truck, and they do have an option on their site where you can choose "I need to tow multiple vehicles", however when selecting this option you get the following message: "We do not offer a solution that can safely tow the vehicle specified. We do recommend, Dependable Auto Shippers, which has over 50 years of experience in vehicle transportation. Their contact information will be included on your email confirmation at the end of this reservation."
- Penske: they only offer one car towing solutions, and only with their own truck registration.
Now to some alternatives. There are few solutions that I can suggest for your son's move:
- Transport both cars using an auto transport service. Its safe and relatively inexpensive. For that purpose you can use this form to get several free quotes from auto transport companies in your area.
- Transport one car using an auto transport service and tow the second by yourself using car carrier or dolly. We recommend renting from Budget Truck Rental or Penske and not from Uhaul, since Uhaul have very bad reputation and customer service level (see their BBB report)
- Ship the household goods with a full or self service moving company and use one car to tow the other. Uhaul offers this option, and as much as we do not recommend using them they are the only company who offers this option. In terms of hiring a mover it might be not such a bad idea, since as you can see in this thread renting a truck is not necessarily the better or the cheaper option. For free moving quotes from your local movers you can use this form (make sure you check all the movers on our site first before you hire them).
I hope this information is helpful.Good luck with your move,
Julie Owens @ MovingAnswers.org Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!
Need a Mover?
Moving Quotes - START HERE:
Rate this Answer
DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service