Moving from Zip code:
HELPFUL LINKS:

Moving Boxes

Moving Made Simple

PACKING AND PREPARING YOUR ITEMS
-> Moving boxes and supplies
Jul 19, 22:21
Question by kate (Kate)

What kind of packing materials to use for local move?

I don't know what kind of packing materials are better to use for my move (its a local move). Should I use boxes or garbage bags?

Jul 20, 00:37
Answer by alexzehn (Alex Z.)

Kate,

Since your move is local using garbage bags for some types of your belongings is fine.

For example, your clothes and linen could be packed in garbage bags, as long as you don't intend to keep them packed for long (e.g. in storage).

For your other belonging I would recommend using boxes, preferably those that are specially designed for moving. In our moving guide you can find more detailed explanations on what types of boxes can be used for different types of household goods (See this chapter: Packing Tips).

Keep in mind that fragile items need to be packed with extra care, and for those you want to use good sturdy boxes and lots of bubble wrap or wrapping paper (for dishes). Write "FRAGILE" and "THIS SIDE UP" with red marker on every possible surface of such box, and in any case keep an eye on your movers - they might not pay attention to those markings in the heat of a move.

If you are not sure how to pack or box some of your items you usually could consult the foreman on the day of a move. Keep in mind though - movers charge a lot of money for packing materials and packing services during the move. If you still prefer them to do the packing at least make sure you have some unused moving boxes and packing supplies prior to their arrival at your pick up location.

If you really want to learn how to pack your boxes I recommend visiting MovingMadeSimple.net. They offer a DVD showing professional techniques of packing fragiles in boxes, and more.

For your convenience we have this section dealing with wholesale moving boxes and supplies provided by Smartpack Solutions LLC. It is usually cheaper to purchase the boxes online and in big bundles.

Good luck with your move,

Alex Z. @ MovingAnswers.org

Follow us on Twitter for valuable tips on making your move easier!

Need a Mover? Get FREE Moving Quotes - START HERE:
You need help with:

Zip code:

Rate this Answer

Was this answer helpful?

Not at all 1 2 3 4 5 Definitely

Moving Made Simple

DISCLAIMER: The information (answers) provided by our researchers should be used as recommendatory only, and should not be used (or referred to) as legal substitute for any other information on the subject found elsewhere. MovingAnswers.org do not assume any responsibility for harm or damage resulting from the use of this information in any way. For more information please see our Terms of Service.

About | Contact Us | Terms | Privacy Policy | No-Spam PolicyLogin RSS

Copyright ©2009-2017, Move, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Move, Inc. | 5401 N Pima Rd, Suite 100, Scottsdale, AZ, 85250 | 800-248-MOVE (6683)